INTERESTING FACTS FOR MILLWALL FC FANS
Millwall Football Team have had five different football ground locations during their history, four of which were on the Isle of Dogs, prior to the 1910 move to Cold Blow Lane, South of the River (River Thames).
Millwall Football Club’s birthplace was at the J.T. Morton’s Canning and Preserve Factory on Westferry Road (Nos. 2-4 on the river side of the road and Nos. 17-23 on the opposite side of the road to the river). A group of Tin Smiths (the ‘Tinnies’) decided to form a football club, calling themselves the Millwall Rovers.
Their first base was The Islander public house, 3-5 Tooke Street. The pub became the HQ for the football club and a social centre for the Millwall Rovers players. The pub was built around 1858 but was destroyed in an air-raid on 7 September 1940 and was never rebuilt. The location of The Islander public house where club held their meetings and the players would socialise is just 5 minutes walk from the Vanguard Self-Storage facility at 188 Westferry Road, London E14 3RY.