How to Prepare Your Home for House Viewings
Finding a buyer for your home is rarely easy, but it can be made a lot easier with just a few simple adjustments. Remember — first impressions are key. The presentation of your home can be the deciding factor for potential buyers. Follow this guide to discover how to make your home instantly more marketable.
Cleaning your home will significantly improve its appearance, and tidying will make rooms appear larger. It’s also helpful to clear personal items (such as photographs) from sight; this removes the ‘personalised’ aspect of your home and helps the buyer imagine the home as their own.
- Tidy away clutter and personal items.
- Hoover all the floors to remove dirt and dust.
- Wipe surfaces to remove dust.
- Dust light fixtures, cabinets and other areas where dust commonly accumulates.
- Mop the floor to remove any stains.
Improve the smell
Homes often adopt a particular smell that is so prevalent it becomes oblivious to the residents. Always assume your home’s natural smell won’t be appealing to potential buyers. Give your house a welcoming aroma by neutralising odours and emitting pleasant scents.
- Remove any items that may be releasing odours. This includes clearing out the fridge of any food past its use-by date, taking out the bins and temporarily relocating your pets.
- Once the sources of bad odours have been removed, use an odour remover spray to neutralise any lingering smells.
- Finally, use candles or diffusers to induce pleasant aromas. Baking cookies is another way to make the house smell great!
Let there be light
Lighting can completely transform the feel of your home. Bright spaces with plenty of natural light will make the rooms of your home appear more spacious.
- Simply opening up your curtains and blinds to invite in natural light can drastically make your home more appealing.
- Strategically place lamps and artificial lights around your home to accentuate certain features of a room.
Clear up the outside
Don’t neglect the outside of your home — particularly the front. Many potential buyers will drive by to obtain their first impression of your home. If they’re not impressed at the appearance of the outside, they may cancel their viewing.
- Mow the grass outside, keeping it neat and uniform.
- Remove clutter.
- Add plants and attractive plant pots.
- Apply a fresh coat of paint to your front door and windows.
Decluttering your bedroom or living room may seem easy enough, but where are you going to store all your items? Potential buyers will want to see inside every room of your home, leaving nowhere to hide all your bits and pieces. We recommend hiring a storage unit to temporarily store your items. Not only will this enable you to completely declutter your home, but it also gives you flexible storage space to use when you’re moving into a new property.
Vanguard offer short-term and long-term self-storage units for domestic customers in Manchester , Bristol and London. We prioritise security, ensuring all your belongings remain safe for the entirety of your rental. Our storage facilities feature access control systems, CCTV systems, intruder alarms and fire alarms — all for a competitive price. If you’re interested in self-storage, get in contact with the Vanguard team today.