Skip to main content
Our History 2008

Lowry Mill

In 2008, Vanguard acquired Lowry Mill, formerly Newtown Mill. The mill was built in 1883 and is the only mill left standing out of seven in the Salford (Manchester) district.

The mill was built next to the Newton Colliery and was originally operated by John Knowles and Sons, cotton spinners and manufacturers. The mill housed some 83,000 spindles. John Ashworth purchased the mill in 1902 and held it until the 1930′s when it was passed to the Lancashire Cotton Corporation. From 1964 until 2008 the mill was occupied by Dorma Group, a division of Coats Viyella Plc, who manufacture household linen and soft furnishing.

Vanguard redeveloped the Mill to provides up to 100,000 sq. ft. of refurbished commercial office space. The upper floors afford fantastic views across Manchester and the ground floor accommodates state-of-the-art reception, restaurant, gym, meeting facilities and theatre. Ample on-site car parking is provided and there are excellent public transport links.

The site also houses our Salford (Manchester) self-store set out over 18,000 sq. ft. on the ground floor. We have a very modern double covered loading bay. The yard is unusually large and secure offering exterior storage for trailer, cars and caravans.

Our History