How to Pack For Self Storage & Moving House
You should always take the smart approach when packing for self-storage, whether you’re moving house, storing away valuables or just having a bit of a de-clutter. Getting yourself familiar with the best space conservation tips will save you time, effort, and also money, preventing you from forking out for more storage space than you actually need.
In this easy guide, we’ve put together the key things you need to consider when packing and organising your items for self storage, along with some handy animations to help you visualise our tips. For more tips on how to pack different belongings for storage, read our guide on How To Store Everything.
How To Prepare For Self Storage
- Start by gathering your materials together; boxes, tape, bubble wrap, dust sheets, protective coverings, and marker pens.
- Avoid using plastic bags as they can attract mildew.
- Pack everything in similar sized boxes to make stacking easier and to prevent toppling.
- Specialist self-storage companies, such as Vanguard, supply their own boxes to ensure customers have a uniform set.
How To Organise Your Storage Unit Boxes
- Avoid the frustration of hunting through boxes to find what you need.
- Label boxes with the following key information: the box contents, which room they belong in, how accessible they need to be when being loaded into the storage unit.
- Write this information on all sides so it can be viewed no matter which way it’s placed into the storage unit.
How To Pack Boxes for Storage
- When packing up your boxes, always think about weight. Books, for example, are an item that can quickly make a box very hefty.
- Heavy items should be placed at the bottom of a box, with lighter items placed on top.
- Make sure to fit items together as compactly as you can.
- Protective wrapping should be used for delicate objects.
- Plates and glass objects should be packed vertically to avoid breakage.
How To Keep Storage Items Safe
- Using masking or duct tape, place an ‘X’ symbol over all mirrors. This enhances safety by reducing the likelihood of shattering if the mirror breaks during transit to the storage unit.
- Things that contain fuel, such as garden equipment, must be drained of their fuel.
- For hygiene purposes, give items a clean before storing them to ensure they are in the best possible condition when the time comes to collect them.
How To Protect Furniture in Storage
- If you’re placing beloved furniture in storage, dismantle all the pieces you can to make it easier and less space-consuming to transport and store them.
- Once dismantled, put any bolts or screws into a sealable bag and label which item of furniture they correspond to.
- Wrap up any delicate parts, and tape down any loose elements.
- If some pieces can’t be dismantled, make use of the space by packing items inside e.g. wardrobes, drawers.
- Anything that has upholstery, such as mattresses or furniture, needs to be properly protected with dust sheets or similar.
- If you are placing fridges and freezers in storage, always leave the doors open to maintain hygienic standards.
How To Arrange Self Storage Items In Your Unit
- When you begin loading up your storage unit, you need to perfect the art of stacking.
- Large and bulky items should be placed into a unit first to form a robust base that will not press down on any less dense items.
- Lighter items and boxes are much easier to pack around and on top of these heavier items.
- Make sure any delicate, easily marked items are not in positions where they will be damaged by the weight above.
- A professional storage unit provider, such as Vanguard, can offer advice on correct stacking and even lend a helping hand.
How To Order Your Self Storage
- Depending on how long you leave items in storage, you may forget their location within the unit.
- To combat this issue, draw yourself a rough map of where everything has been stored in the unit.
- Also create a thorough inventory to ensure everything is accounted for.
- And finally, remember to keep a walkway clear for you to move through your storage unit, otherwise you could literally box yourself in!
Vanguard have been providing secure self-storage for 55 years to London, Manchster & Bristol. Our family run firm has a strong focus on providing top customer service, and the most security-tight storage units possible, all of which are monitored by CCTV. With a wide range of storage options on offer, get in touch with our friendly team today to find out more.